First of all, Happy Father's Day, Dad! Thank you so much for everything you have taught me throughout my life! And Happy Father's Day to Robert, Scott, Tom, Peter, and Jim as well! Father's Day was celebrated down here in Peru too. Lots of advertising beforehand for cars and cologne, and during the day, a huge city-wide party with trucks and beer. Not quite my idea of the best Father's Day. The church down here, however, celebrated Father's Day for our Heavenly Father by dedicating a new temple!
Yesterday, I had the honor of participating in the dedication for the new Trujillo, Peru temple, which marks the second temple Peru has (a third being built in a place called Arequipa). The temple in Lima was built back in the 60's, and now temples are getting built everywhere! The Lord's work is truly expanding! I wonder when they're going to build one in Iquitos. There are four stakes in Iquitos, and seven within the mission boundaries. I wonder how many stakes there has to be for a new temple...
As for the mission itself, things are same ol', same ol'. We're teaching some twins named Karen and Katy, who've agreed to be baptized in the middle of July. We're pretty excited for them!
Coming up this week, we've got another holiday on Wednesday called San Juan, which is supposed to be a day-long party celebrating the life of John the Baptist. From what I heard, this party is going to be HUGE. Everyone keeps talking about how they're preparing for San Juan. It's like Christmas (er, New Years) in the summer. Everyone from Pucallpa (and remember the Pucallpa's a big city) is coming down to the area I'm serving to celebrate. Let's see how that goes. :P
The summer down here is rough. I guess I should've expected it to be, though. :P It's super hot and super humid and I always go home super burnt-out. However, earlier this week, we had a rain storm that changed everything. Now, the heat has simmered down, and the nighttimes are freezing. The weather reminds me of Utah, how it can't make up it's mind. :P
How is everyone up there? Are the kiddos enjoying their first few weeks of summer? How's Katie doing? What kind of stuff did you do for Father's Day up there?
I love you all and I'll keep praying for you all!
Elder Dixon
No comments:
Post a Comment