Monday, March 9, 2015

Elder Adam's March 9th email

Dear Family!

How is it going up in the semi-cold chair-shaped state of Utah? I hope everyone's doing well! I've had a pretty cool week this week!

First off, we got someone to commit to baptism! His name is Kenyo (pronounced Ken-jo) Gonzalas. He's a pretty smart (and young) guy who works as a funeral manager. He's full of surprises. When we were teaching him the Plan of Salvation earlier, I expected him to be full of questions about everything, seeing as he works around dead people all the time. Surprisingly, when I asked him where he thought we went after he died, he was pretty much spot-on!

He must have been talking to his friend, Eduardo, who we are also teaching. We taught the Plan of Salvation to him before we did to Kenyo. We're currently working on getting Eduardo to commit to baptism too, along with another guy named Pedro, who seems extremely interested in the church.adam

Earlier this week, I had a hankering for a snow cone...so I bought one. Down here, they're called "raspadillas", but they're pretty much the same thing. Only down here, instead of having flavors like "apple", "peach", or "blue raspberry", you'll find flavors such as "papaya", "camu-camu" (which is like a warhead), and "mint". When I tasted a mint-flavored snow cone, I was gnarled out! It tasted pretty good, but I wasn't expecting mint at all! :P

On Wednesday, we had an opportunity to give some service. We started by clearing out some debris out of someone's backyard and began to cut the grass with a machete. I don't want to brag, but my lawn-mowing skills with a machete are getting better and better!

The best part about it, though, was that there was a coconut tree they had. Down here, the grass is nearly 2 feet high, so when a coconut falls out of a tree, it's pretty much hidden until you stumble upon it. I was cutting along, until suddenly, I sliced straight through a coconut! Perfectly through! I felt like a ninja for the rest of the day!

This week, I had the opportunity to speak in church (on ridiculously short notice, too). I gave a talk about Love and Charity, and as I prepared for the talk, I realized that everything revolves around love. If we have love for God and the people we serve, we're going to wantto serve them better. God created us and this earth because he loves us. He sent his son, Jesus Christ, because he loves us. Jesus Christ bled for, died, and atoned for the sins of everyone because he loves us. The more I try to think about it, the more astonished I get. This week, I'm going to make more of an effort to love the people I serve more than I ever have.

I love you all!

Elder Dixon

No comments: