Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Dear Family,

I'm sorry I didn't get to e-mail until now. Technical difficulties. All the computers were going berserk. Anyway, now I'm on! Yay!

So this was a interesting week! On Sunday, I was lucky enough to go to the baptism of someone I taught in Oxford, since my old area is just a hop over the border! It was amazing. Her name is Phyllis Berthume and she is a sweetheart. She had been going to church for years taking care of her grand kids, her son is a member. She would always tell me that I looked exactly like her niece, Jessica.

I saw a picture. I really hope I don't look like her niece.

Anyway, when I saw her I gave her a great big hug and she started crying! I am pretty sure it's because she thought I was Jessica at first, but I still take the compliment. Anyway, when she went in to get baptized, we were all sitting for five minutes, waiting for her to get into the font. Then her Daughter in law poked her head out and asked a member of the bishopric to get a knife.

!!

Ten minutes later, it was announced that they couldn't get her prosthetic leg off, (which made me think that the knife was for sawing it off. but apparently it wasn't) and were going to have to wrap it up in plastic. which took another five minutes.

Finally though, she was in the water and ready to be dunked. Her son was baptizing her, which was sweet. Because of her leg, she had to sit in a chair to be baptized. After her son said the prayer and right before she was dunked, Phyllis (hardcore Catholic before) crossed herself right before he baptized her! Oops, forgot to go over that one.

It didn't really matter, because they had to dunk her three times. Her son, who is giant, kept shoving her under, and she'd flail around. It was one of the more interesting baptisms I've been to. But it was really sweet. It was great to be in my old ward and to have them recognize me. That was really nice.

So I hear everyone went to Disneyland! I am Jealous! with a capital J. I hope to receive lots of pictures! how is my dear old Disneyland? Still as magical as before?

Anyway, I love you all! I will be a better e-mailer next week and write all of you who wrote me, I promise. This week was crazy! I'm sorry if I don't get back to you right away.

I will be e-mailing on Wednesday next week, since it is transfer week. I'll let you know what happens!
Loves!
Sister Dixon

No comments: